Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Santee - Week #64 - July 22, 2014

Montañas de exchanges, Music fiasco, Innocent children.



Hola familia!
 
Crazy week. We don't have much time because we are headed to the temple today! Wahoo! But I'll give you a quick glimpse of the week:
 
--We went on montañas de exchanges this week! It was awesome. I'm about to collapse. First one in City Heights, then one in Calexico in 115 degree weather, and then one here in Santee with another sister from City Heights. I love those sisters.
 
--It has been a week of musical numbers! Sister Hess and I did a special musical number at a baptism on Saturday, a special musical number in Sacrament meeting the next day, and then we did two musical numbers at the Mission President's Fireside that night. People are probably tired of us! Haha. I love music. It touches people's hearts with the Spirit in such a powerful way that many other things do not.
 
--The Gonzalez-Ambriz are reading the Book of Mormon together! One of the simple joys of missionary work is when you see a dysfunctional, non-member family gathered together around the dinner table reading the Book of Mormon together and actually enjoying it. Beautiful scene. 
 
--Another simple joy is the innocent questions of a 9-year-old. Here's a quick story: We were talking about avoiding temptations of Satan with the Gonzalez and lil' 9-year-old Arturo was like, "What age does Satan start having power over you?" And we asked him what he thought and he then turned to his 12-year-old sister, Shayla, and asked in a most innocent voice, "Shayla, when did I start becoming like you?" Hahaha. Shayla became slightly offended at the question as we all tried to keep our histerical laughter to a minimum. I love innocent children.
 
--Elena and Berta are progressing super well! They love church and are working through their doubts about baptism. Pray for them as well!
 
Keep being good! I love you!
 
Hermana Barnes
 
P.S. I'm doing a 40-day fast thing from writing anyone but family so if you don't hear from me, just know that I still love you.
 
Las Fotos:
1) Old Town on P-day with some missionary friends.
2) Mexico border. How easy do you think it would be to climb that 40-foot fence?
3) I love these Calexican sisters. We meet again. The sister on the left is Hermana Squire from my MTC district who's from American Fork near Pleasant Grove just 5 minutes away from us. She's the best!




No comments:

Post a Comment