Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Ramona - Week #11 - July 16, 2013

Fire in Ramona! Baptism, President'​s fireside

Familia!
 
Como estan? Espero que todo bien.  This week was awesome!  On Saturday, there was a baptism of one of the Elders' investigators that has been investigating for about 3 months.  It was beautiful to see how converted to the Gospel she is when she shared her testimony after she was baptized.  There really are people so incredibly prepared to receive this Gospel.  And there are those people that aren't quite ready yet. It's interesting to see the difference in the two.
 
So I will try to answer all of your questions in this email. 1) I have P-day on Tuesdays because that's the day that President felt was best for our mission. It's the day before transfers so if people are getting transfered the next day, they have time to pack and get everything prepared during P-day. 2) The weather in the area I'm serving in (Ramona) is really hot, actually. It gets to around 100 degrees every day and we walk quite a bit so we get pretty drenched every day. Haha it's not that bad though.  It's perfect weather in actual San Diego and closer to the coast and border. But I love Ramona, it's like a little Mexican farm town, and totally does not look like San Diego at all.  I feel like I'm in a different country. I have to remind myself every day that I still live in the U.S.  3) My Spanish is coming along pretty well. I'm understanding more and more, and I'm speaking more and more.  We actually do still speak English sometimes whenever we're in the nicer neighborhoods and trying to get referrals, but we speak mostly Spanish.
 
We had a fire in Ramona on Saturday! It was actually pretty scary. They had to evacuate a lot of the houses that are like 5 minutes away from our apartment complex.  Luckily they maintained the fire and put it out before it traveled into the city, but there is a huge area that is completely black, it's crazy.  There were millions of sirens going off all day and we had to cancel a lot of our teaching appointments because the roads were closed off.  But, all is well.
 
So in this mission, there are musical firesides once a month (English and Spanish) and this past Sunday we got to go to the Spanish fireside and some of our investigators came! It was amazing. Hermana Hughes and I sang in the choir with like 50 other missionaries and it was super powerful.  There are a ton of special musical numbers and they show inspirational videos. It's a perfect opportunity for investigators to come and feel the spirit through music and to hear from the Mission President. Hermana Hughes and I signed up to sing a duet in the next fireside so that'll be fun! I'll let you know how that goes.
 
Well, we are seeing more and more success with our progressing investigators. (I forgot to explain that picture I sent last week of the family... it's the amazing family of Marisol and Jose we are teaching that are getting so close to baptism!) It is so amazing to see how much the spirit works in people. I know that God trusts us 19-20 year-olds because it's not us doing the teaching or converting, it's the spirit hands down.  I love you all so much! Tengan una semana maravillosa!
 
Con muchisimo amor,
Hermana Barnes

No comments:

Post a Comment